Monday, April 14, 2008

Come back with your shield, or on it.

300 - another movie based on a Frank Miller graphic novel. I didn't recognize any of the actors in this film - so I'm going to say no known stars.

This film is about the Spartans. The film begins with the birth of the king. He is checked to ensure his perfection. He is. The story continues following King Leonidas' development as he is schooled in the ways of the Spartan. He is schooled in violence and released into the wild where he shows his strength by defeating a wolf using not only his brawn but also his intelligence. The film then fast forwards the present where King Leonidas is an adult with a wife and child. The Persians arrive and demand the Spartan's surrender. Spartans do not surrender. King Leonidas takes 300 men to hold Thermopylae a gate way from the advancing Persian King Xerxes and his massive army.

The movie is divided between the 300 fighting Spartans and the Spartans who remain. More pointedly, Queen Gorgo who is caught amongst conspirators and her love of her husband and desire to send more Spartan soldiers to aid the 300.

I LOVED this movie. I was so pleasantly surprised. I didn't think I would. It was dark and bloody. But it was also funny and battles were depicted and fought the way I would fight. Yes, slice off the arm with the sword - it cannot hurt you. Slice off the legs - the man cannot follow you. Oh, it was glorious. And funny, gallows humor and regular humor. I highly recommend this film. Of course you have to take into account my enjoyment of the violence and hot men in underwear and capes. Yummy. I think this is an excellent film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home