Monday, July 16, 2007

"My daddy's in a coma."

Strangers With Candy - I must first state that I have not seen much of the tv show. I only catch snippets of it on Comedy Central. This may have hindered my enjoyment of this film. Therefore I can only say this was not my favorite of movies.

Jerri Blank (Amy Sedaris) is an ex-con who is determined to start her life over from the moment she messed it up. She is convinced this will help her father awaken from the coma he slipped into shortly after her life fell apart. So she returns to high school determined to do things right.

There are some excellent portrayals in this film. Deborah Rush is excellent as the put upon step mother of Jerri Blank. Stephen Colbert is delightful as a married science teacher who is having a homosexual relationship with the art teacher. Sarah Jessica Parker plays an interesting guidance counselor. Matthew Broderick even guest stars as a rival science teacher.

There are some funny and interesting parts in this film. However, there are some uncomfortable parts as well. I am not sure if the funny parts outweigh the uncomfortable parts. Not sure, if you watch the show I am sure this film will tickle your fancy but only few who are unfamiliar with the show will enjoy it to its fullest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home