Sunday, September 30, 2007

"Everything you have seen here has been an illusion."

The Illusionist - a movie starring Paul Giamatti, Edward Norton, and Jessica Biel. Edward Norton is an illusionist in the early 1900s Vienna. As a child, he befriended Jessica Biel a local duchess. He is separated from her by her station in life and physically - he is sent away and travels the world learning his craft. Years later, Edward Norton returns to Vienna. Paul Giamatti plays an investigator, who at first, is quite taken with Edward's show. Jessica attends Edward's show with her finance - a cruel arrogant crown prince - and is uniquely reunited with her childhood friend. At this point the movie takes off as the two fall in love, a man's jealousy and anger leads to irrevocable acts, and Edward's fame explodes.

I liked this movie. Far more than I thought I would. It was an excellent ride - love, mystery, death, and a period piece to boot. My only complaint was the style of the filming. I wish they had used the sepia film sparingly. I understood the attempt to cloud the entire film in mystery and shadow, but it ended up annoying me and taking away from the story in parts. But since, for once, my complaint is not really editorially related, I would recommend this film to almost everyone. It's good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home