Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"Are you Arabic?" "No." "Let me put it another way: are you married?"

The Manchurian Candidate - I watched the original - it stars Frank Sinatra, Janet Leigh, and Angela Lansbury. The story is simple and scary enough. A group of soldiers are brainwashed by a communist enemy. One of the soldiers, Raymond Shaw, is trained as a killer - he is their ace in the hole - he will kill without remorse. Raymond has an overbearing mother, Angela Lansbury, and a wimpy stepfather. Bennett Marco, Frank Sinatra, is one of the soldiers. Since returning from his stint he has been having nightmares involving Raymond.

All I could think about when watching Angela Lansbury was how sad it is that most of my generation only know her as Jessica Fletcher and people who are younger than me only recognize her as the voice of the teapot in Beauty and the Beast! And that is sad because she is a great actor.

This movie was interesting, if a little slow. I didn't completely understand the purpose of Janet Leigh's character but I guess she was a foil for Bennett. There were many intricacies in this film and they were laid out and developed in clear and calculated ways. I highly enjoyed this film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home