Sunday, August 05, 2007

"The man who said 'I'd rather be lucky than good' saw deeply into life."

Match Point - a Woody Allen film. The plot seems simple enough a young Irish tennis pro retires to teach rich people how to play tennis. He meets a rich guy. They both express an interest in Opera. Rich guy has an extra ticket and invites Tennis Pro into his family and in particular his sister. Romance ensues. However Tennis Pro is also interested in rich guy's fiancee. Tennis Pro eventually marries the sister but in the end has an affair with the fiancee.

The acting in this film was good. I had no complaints on that end. The movie centered around the theme, idea really, of luck. Luck as in chance not necessarily good or bad. The chance meeting of Rich guy and Tennis Pro, a break up a few months too late, a chance meeting in the Tate modern, and the location of a ring.

I don't think I enjoyed this film. There were are few scenes that were interesting but there are gaps. The relationships evolve but without a clear understanding of the length of time between scenes. The Tennis Pro's character is questionable. The audience is not sure of his motives, nor is there even a hint of his depth. The ending to me was bizarre. I am not sure many will enjoy this film. Apparently, I am the minority because this movie was one of Woody Allen's successful films. I stand by my opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home