Tuesday, August 07, 2007

"This is a one off thing."

Brokeback Mountain - yes I finally watched the gay cowboy movie. I enjoyed almost every minute of it. Very impressive performances by Heath and Jake. Two cowboys are hired to watch over a herd of sheep on Brokeback Mountain. Their stay begins innocently enough but eventually a cold night and suggestive looks lead to a kiss. Eventually they leave the sanctuary of the mountain and each goes on to start their own families. And yet they continue their love affair for 20 years meeting a couple of times a year.

This movie was based on a short story. And I can honestly say I forgot I was looking at Heath and Jake I totally bought them as Ennis and Jack. Well, I did remember a little when they were hot and naked. But I digress. The boys were a delight. If they didn't have to return to their families I would have been happier. My biggest gripe with this film was poor Anne Hathaway. They did not age her well at all. They basically just gave her a variety of wigs - it was terrible.

I forgot that this was an Ang Lee film. Something about the film struck me as being very Ang Lee and then when watching a behind the scenes featurette I saw him. Silly forgetful me, but very good Ang Lee. This movie deserved the buzz. What I liked about this movie is that when it ended I felt as though I read a book. It made me think about the symbolic meaning of Brokeback as a place. It made me want to have a book club meeing to discuss the movie. Rent it if you haven't already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home