Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Turtles, Turtles, Turtles

Loggerheads - This film depicts a true story unfolding at three different points in time: 1999, 2000 and 2001. Bonnie Hunt plays a woman who gave up her child for adoption and decides to find him - 2001 storyline. In 1999, we meet Bonnie Hunt's son attempting to save the Loggerhead turtles in North Carolina. 2000 is the storyline of a minister and his wife, who adopted Bonnie Hunt's son, and are dealing with the fact that he is gay and the fact that he left. The movie was way way too slow. I am not opposed to the slow moving film, in fact I tolerate them better than most, and I stopped paying attention. I actually started flipping through a magazine and scanning a newspaper, not a good sign. The movie did have potential.

The ideas were interesting - blending homosexuality, adoption, loss, and family. Each year in itself was interesting and the way they eventually come together was quite gripping. I don't know what it was, I guess the middle just wasn't compelling enough. It wasn't a bad movie. I just don't know if I can recommend this as a must-see, worthwhile film. However, I do like the thoughts that this film provokes and that it is based on a true story. So, you'll have to ask me if I think you should see it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home