Sunday, January 28, 2007

Who would have thought an asylum patient would be a bad boyfriend?

Asylum - this film I was looking forward to watching. It is set in England in what I guess would be the 50s. A family moves into an ayslum because the father is a therapist. From the beginning of the film there is a tension between the husband and his wife (Natasha Richardson) Stella. They have a son who befriends an inmate, Edgar, who has been cleared to work in the family's garden. As the movie unfolds life at the asylum is revealed. The father is unable to "control" his alcoholic wife who eventually falls in love with the inmate.

Ian McKellan is excellent and somewhat creepy therapist who also works at the asylum. Eventually, the affair is discovered and the inmate escapes and Stella slowly distances herself from her family and follows Edgar. Surprise, surprise Edgar's sociopathic tendancies emerge. This movie moved a tad slowly. I had numerous thoughts about how the movie would end - I speculated on the various possible outcomes to the film. While I did end up guessing the ending, I did for the most part enjoy the film.

The film illustrates the frustration felt by women who are forced into a particular life. Additionally, Stella was an alcoholic which did not help things. This movie had some whorthwhile moments but I am not sure ife I would reccommend this film to all. Only a select few.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home